For a unique and beautiful winter experience, go to the Wisconsin Ice Castles in Lake Geneva! A great place for Wisconsin family adventures. Here was our experience and what we learned for next time.
Monday-Thursday: $16.99 ages 12 & up, $11.99 ages 4-11
Friday-Sunday: $20.99 ages 12 & up, $15.99 ages 4-11
With little kids it is worth going during a less busy time, like right when they open in the morning or during the week. We went in the afternoon on a weekend and it was insanely busy. We still managed to get a couple photos without the crowds in the way, but waiting in lines and appreciating the beauty was hindered by the sheer amount of people.
The other big problem about doing a winter activity with little kids is keeping in mind just how cold it can be in the Wisconsin winters. I purchased tickets ahead of time with a discount, but that meant I had to select our date weeks in advance – with the risk of having bad weather when the day arrived. Thankfully we were blessed with some sunshine and just moderate chill… but next time we go I will forego the discount to choose a day based on weather forecast. I think it will be worth it. Unfortunately there is a higher chance of the day we want being sold out – because they limit the amount of people per day. But it’s just not fun to go with little kids when it’s freezing. So I would take the risk.
Here is my quick list of tips for going to the Ice Castles with little kids:
- Look at the weather forecast and choose a day above 30 degrees
- Buy your tickets online in advance
- Avoid crowds by going during the week or in the morning on weekends
- Bundle up and wear snow pants so you can go down the ice slides
- If you have a baby, plan on wearing them – no strollers allowed
- Pack light so you can move around comfortably and not get tired
- Encourage your kids to explore and use their imagination!
We had fun and learned a couple things for our first time ever going to the Wisconsin Ice Castles! Hopefully we get another chance to go in 2021! Have you ever been to the ice castles?
35 total views, 1 views today